Thursday, November 26, 2009

Paul McCartney Tours Europe First Time In Five Years


 Tour To Start December 2nd



Source: independent.co.uk
Paul McCartney is scheduled to begin his first European tour since 2004, kicking it off with a December 2 show in Hamburg. Dates follow in Arnhem, Paris, Cologne, Dublin, with the tour ending in London on December 22, the singer's only UK date of the year.


Paul McCartney's tour begins three weeks after the release of his Good Evening New York City album, which features music from McCartney's three nights of performances in July 2009 at New York's Citi Field (formerly Shea Stadium) site of The Beatles' landmark 1965 concert.
The September releases of The Beatles' digitally remastered albums and The Beatles: Rock Band game have led to a new wave of Beatlemania. The same month, Walt Disney Studios and The Beatles Apple Corps Ltd. announced a deal to remake The Beatles' 1968 animated classic film Yellow Submarine; in early November, director Robert Zemeckis said he hoped to enlist Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr in the project.
In other McCartney news, on November 16 the US Library of Congress announced Paul McCartney as winner of the third Gershwin Prize for Popular Song. On November 19, ringostarr.com announced that Paul McCartney would perform on two songs for Starr's upcoming CD release, Y Not, due out January 12, 2010.
European tour dates:
December 2: Hamburg, Color Line Arena
December 3: Berlin, O2 World
December 9: Arnhem, Gelredome
December 10: Paris, Bercy
December 16: Cologne, Koln Arena
December 20: Dublin, The O2
December 22: London, The O2 Arena
For information about where to buy remaining tickets, visit this link on the Paul McCartney website.
http://www.paulmccartney.com/news.php#/1757/2009-10





<
web hit counter
Provided by website hit counters hit counter gallery.

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Dennis Mitchell's "Breakfast With the Beatles" features tracks from new McCartney live album

November 14, 9:31 PMBeatles ExaminerSteve Marinucci


The latest edition of “Dennis Mitchell’s Breakfast With The Beatles,” online beginning early Sunday, will feature a sneak preview of Paul McCartney’s new CD/DVD, “Good Evening New York City” and an interview with author Judith Furedi about her tribute book to John Lennon, “In Their Own Write.” “Dennis Mitchell’s Breakfast With The Beatles” is now heard on dozens of U.S. and Canadian radio stations, in New Zealand, in the U.K. and at the Cavern Club and Hard Day’s Night Hotel in Liverpool. It's also featured on Beatles webcasts on MaccaRadio and Beatles-a-Rama. You can hear the latest show at www.beatlesradioshow.com.









<
web hit counter
Provided by website hit counters hit counter gallery.

Paul McCartney To Be Awarded The Gershwin Prize

Tops in pop: Gershwin Prize goes to McCartney






Washington Post Staff Writer
Monday, November 16, 2009

Paul McCartney played his first U.S. gig with the Beatles in Washington more than four decades ago. Reflecting on that fact at FedEx Field in August, the 67-year-old smiled and told the crowd, "We've got bigger amps now!"
Hopefully he has a bigger mantle, too: Monday, the Library of Congress will announce McCartney as its third recipient of the Gershwin Prize for Popular Song.
McCartney is scheduled to return to Washington and accept the award in spring 2010, but many details are fuzzy. The library has promised an all-star tribute concert featuring the former Beatle, but the all-stars have not yet been named. Neither has a venue. The White House hosted the ceremony earlier this year, but the location of next spring's event is under wraps.
Here's what we do know: Macca rules.
"It's hard to think of another performer and composer who has had a more indelible and transformative effect on popular song and music of several different genres than Paul McCartney," James H. Billington, librarian of Congress, said in a statement.
Billington selected McCartney for the prize, which commemorates brothers George and Ira Gershwin, the iconic songwriting duo whose manuscripts are maintained by the Library of Congress.
"As a great admirer of the Gershwins' songs, I am highly honored to be given the Gershwin Prize by such a great institution as the Library of Congress," McCartney said in a statement.
McCartney will be the third songwriter to receive the honor; Paul Simon received the inaugural award in May 2007 and Stevie Wonder was celebrated in February 2009.
Both artists donated works to the library: Simon offered the original manuscript containing lyrics to his beloved song "Graceland," while Wonder was commissioned to write a sprawling composition called "Sketches of a Life." McCartney's contribution has not yet been confirmed.
The announcement comes when Beatlemania is on the rebound. A digitally remastered version of the band's entire discography was released in September alongside the video game "The Beatles: Rock Band" -- both of which are expected to enjoy a considerable uptick in sales before Christmas.
McCartney is also fresh from an acclaimed summer tour of the United States and is preparing for a similar lap around Europe in December.
Accolades and honors are nothing new for Sir Paul. He was knighted by Queen Elizabeth II in 1997 and owns so many Grammys, he could use them as doorstops.
ad_icon

The Gershwin Prize will honor McCartney for a lifetime of work that spans from his time with the Beatles to Wings to his solo work today. Born in Liverpool, England, in 1942, McCartney wrote his first song at the age of 14.













<
web hit counter
Provided by website hit counters hit counter gallery.










Thursday, November 12, 2009

More On The Beatles 3-hour Radio Special


As said previously This Radio Special was
Written and produced by Beatles historian Kevin Howlett, each of the three 48-minute installments discusses different aspects of their career.

Here are the details in each episode -

Part One: Meet The Beatles!

The interviewees recorded exclusively for this series reveal the impact made upon them by The Beatles’ records from throughout their career. We hear Brian Wilson of The Beach Boys, Tom Petty, film director Cameron Crowe and Ann & Nancy Wilson (of Heart) talking about their first-hand experience of The Beatles’ phenomenal 1964 breakthrough in the United States. Dave Grohl, Mark Ronson and Slash discuss the enduring influence of albums such as Rubber Soul, Revolver and Abbey Road.

Part Two: Ask Me Why

The interviewees focus on the various elements within the group that combined to make The Beatles so musically powerful: their strengths as performers - both instrumentally and vocally - plus the brilliance of John Lennon, Paul McCartney and George Harrison as songwriters.

Part Three: The Beatles On The Record

We hear how The Beatles’ music was captured on record with the help of innovative arrangements and adventurous production by George Martin. Some of today’s leading record producers - Peter Asher, Joe Boyd, T-Bone Burnett, Jeff Lynne, Mark Ronson and Rick Rubin - marvel at the dazzling creativity evident in recordings made more than 40 years ago.



web hit counter
Provided by website hit counters hit counter gallery.

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

New Beatles Three Hour Radio Special

"Here, There and Everywhere," a new three-part, three-hour radio special that looks back at the history of the group, will air around the U.S. beginning later this month, FMQB Productions announced Wednesday.

The special, officially sanctioned by Apple Corps, will include new interviews with artists and producers who discuss the influence of The Beatles on their individual careers.

Written and produced by Beatles historian Kevin Howlett, each of the three 48-minute installments discusses different aspects of their career. In part one, "Meet The Beatles!," Brian Wilson, Tom Petty, Cameron Crowe and Ann and Nancy Wilson talk about the Beatles’ 1964 breakthrough in the United States, while Dave Grohl, Mark Ronson and Slash talk about the enduring influence of albums such as "Rubber Soul," "Revolver" and "Abbey Road." In part two, "Ask Me Why," the topic is the Beatles' strengths as performers and the songwriting of John Lennon, Paul McCartney and George Harrison. Part three, "The Beatles On The Record," looks at the technical aspects of Beatles recordings with comments from Peter Asher, Jeff Lynne, Mark Ronson, Rick Rubin and Joe Boyd.

The series will be available for stations to run between Nov. 27 and Jan. 3, 2010.


Source - Beatles Examiner






web hit counter
Provided by website hit counters hit counter gallery.

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

The Beatles On Record: A History Channel Special


In 1962, an unknown group from Liverpool entered Abbey Road Studios to record their debut single. During the next eight years they created what is arguably regarded as the greatest collection of studio recordings of the 20th century. This special charts The Beatles' extraordinary journey in the studio from "Please Please Me" to "Abbey Road" and reflects on how they developed as musicians, matured as songwriters and created a body of work that sounds as fresh in 2009 as the time it was recorded. Narrated entirely by John, Paul, George, Ringo and Sir George Martin, the documentary features over 60 classic songs, rare footage and photos from The Beatles' archives and never heard before out-takes of studio chat from the "Abbey Road" recording sessions.

On The History Channel -

Wednesday November 10, 2009

Rating: TVPG

Running Time: 60 minutes





web hit counter
Provided by website hit counters hit counter gallery.

Sunday, November 8, 2009

Macca: The Beatles weren't that good

SIR PAUL McCARTNEY admits THE BEATLES weren't much cop when they first formed.

Realising they sounded average at best, Macca wasn't surprised in 1962 when record label Decca refused to sign the band - who went on to become the biggest of all time.

In an interview with Xfm's IAN CAMFIELD, he said: "We obviously weren't that good. We were formulating it all.

"You wouldn't have thought we were that great. You'd have turned us down if you were a record company. And they did - Decca turned us down!"

Soon after Decca snubbed the Fab Four, producer GEORGE MARTIN signed them to EMI's Parlophone label and the band - prior to sticksman RINGO STARR's arrival - went on to play a 48-night residency in a Hamburg, Germany, club.

It was during this formative era that they honed their sound and learned the art of wowing crowds.

Macca said: "When we first went to Hamburg, and there'd be no-one in the club.

The Beatles in 1962 - John Lennon, George Harrison, Paul McCartney and Pete Best who was the original drummer, later replaced by Ringo Starr
Hardly the Best ... The Beatles circa 1962 with drummer Pete Best

"You'd see a couple of students, maybe a guy and his girlfriend, and they'd look in a bit tentatively, look up at the price of the beer, see it was too much and start walking out.

"So we'd go, 'Come on, everybody, get back in here! It's all happening!'

"So we'd learned to attract an audience. After a few weeks, we'd be really packing those clubs.

"It taught us that game of how to win over an audience.

"We learned loads of songs, so by the time we got back to England, we had quite a big repertoire."

Having played packed stadiums in The Beatles, WINGS and as a solo artist since the 60s, Macca says nothing beats the adrenaline rush of playing in a little pub.

So much so, he's often tempted to bash out a few songs down the local boozer when he's on a break.

"I've never felt bored, I've never felt like staying at home," he added.

"I always said, if I wasn't allowed to do it, it'd be my hobby.

"I'd show up at some pub, saying, S'cuse me, can I play? I'd love to do that.

"Those are some of my happiest memories, being there among a group of people and having someone buy you a beer."

You can listen to the entire interview on Ian Camfield's Xfm Breakfast Show, week beginning November 16