Friday, November 6, 2009

George Harrison Beatles Song Completed After 40 Years

Source - Liverpool Daily News


Wirral England singer/songwriter Dean Johnston has been asked to finish the lyrics to what would have been an unfinished George Harrison Song. The first 10 lines of the song written by George, at the Height of The Beatles Career. The lyrics were submitted when Hunter Davies who wrote The Beatles Biography in The 60's asked each of The Beatles for samples of their handwriting. Davies never used them, tossed them aside and, were eventually forgotten. BBC Radio Merseyside's Spencer Leigh thought that perhaps a songwriter of today, could finish the song. Someone like Dean Johnston.

“Spencer called me out of the blue and left a message saying he had an interesting proposition for me,” explained Dean, from Oxton.
“I called him back and when he said he would like me to work on George’s unfinished song I found it unbelievable, tremendously exciting and above all a complete honour.

“My brief was to follow George’s sentiment through to its conclusion. The words were both brutally honest and compassionate and Harrison was obviously writing from the heart.

“I just tried by my best ability to get into the mind of someone in George’s position and I am so pleased that most people who have heard it, think I achieved a credible continuity with the original lyrics.”

The original lyrics had been written by George when and given to Davies when he asked and, then tossed aside as just a piece of paper on The Abbey Road Studio Floor. Where it might have been thrown out by the cleaners, if Spencer had not picked it up.

After taking a second look at the piece of paper he had saved from the dust bin, He realized something remarkable. The lyrics seemed very personal And, first thought to be of a love unrealized. But, now in hindsight they seem to refer to Harrison's uncomfortable relationship with John Lennon.

On the reverse side of the lyrics are instructions on how to reach Beatles manager Brian Epstein’s country house in Sussex, written in Epstein’s hand.

It now resides in The British Library's Beatles Collection, with other items loaned by Davies. Who, will donate everything to the library after his death.

Hunter Davies biography, The Beatles will be republished this month including, George Harrison's forgotten lyrics.

The finished song is called, Silence (is it's own reply) and was performed live during an interview with Hunter Davies on Spencer Leigh's "On the Beat" program.

Silence (is its own reply)

I'm happy to say that it's only a dream
When I come across people like you,
It's only a dream and you make it obscene
With the things that you think and you do.
You're so unaware of the pain that I bear
And jealous for what you can't do.
There's times when I feel that you haven't a hope
But I also know that isn't true.
Every time I ask you why
Silence is its own reply

It’s so hard to prove what I can do
Compared to someone like you
You make it look easy but you still tease me
When you have got nothing better to do
When the tears are falling and its dawning
The truth will ring out so clear
That no-one’s above you and nobody can love you
Until all that pain disappears

Every time I ask you why
Silence is its own reply

By the time we have talked it over
It’s time to say goodbye

No comments:

Post a Comment